Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Chapter XXIV: The Civil Magistrate

We confess and acknowledge that empires, kingdoms, dominions, and cities are appointed and ordained by God; the powers and authorities in them, emperors in empires, kings in their realms, dukes and princes in their dominions, and magistrates in cities, are ordained by God’s holy ordinance for the manifestation of his own glory and for the good and well being of all men. We hold that any men who conspire to rebel or to overturn the civil powers, as duly established, are not merely enemies to humanity but rebels against God’s will.

Further, we confess and acknowledge that such persons as are set in authority are to be loved, honored, feared, and held in the highest respect, because they are the lieutenants of God, and in their councils God himself doth sit and judge. They are the judges and princes to whom God has given the sword for the praise and defense of good men and the punishment of all open evil doers.

Moreover, we state that the preservation and purification of religion is particularly the duty of kings, princes, rulers, and magistrates. They are not only appointed for civil government but also to maintain true religion and to suppress all idolatry and superstition. This may be seen in David, Jehosaphat, Hezekiah, Josiah, and others highly commended for their zeal in that cause.

Therefore we confess and avow that those who resist the supreme powers, so long as they are acting in their own spheres, are resisting God’s ordinance and cannot be held guiltless. We further state that so long as princes and rulers vigilantly fulfill their office, anyone who denies them aid, counsel, or service, denies it to God, who by his lieutenant craves it of them.
****

I suppose this is further evidence of God's sense of humor--one minute I'm lamenting the fact that I don't have much honor and respect for many politicians, the next thing I know I open up the confessions and discover that I am on the chapter regarding the respect, honor and love (love!  How many of you confess to loving your local politicians?  Be honest!) of those in power.

I've always struggled with this idea.  I understand the roots of it, and the necessity of it, at times.  But what of those despots intent on enriching themselves at the cost of the citizens--what are we to say to Mugabe, to Duvalier, etc?  What about those who instill terror in us to this day, such as Stalin and Hitler?  How are we to resist those who support laws we find unjust, such as slavery and abortion?

I suppose Jesus would tell me I am supposed to love them even though it may be easier to demonize them.  I imagine Jesus would say that I am supposed to enter into dialogue, to explain my stance and pray for the Spirit's guidance.  I suppose Jesus would tell me that I am still to have honor and respect, even while I work and pray for change.  Considering that my Lord and Savior told me to love my enemies, I doubt he would let me off the hook simply because I deem their political maneuverings or opinions to be reproachable. 

I often fall into the trap of believing that love is a feeling--something warm and fuzzy for the heart.  Love is a command, an action verb, and I am to love myself, my neighbors, my enemies--every single one of God's precious children.  Even when they make it hard for me to do so.

No comments: