Thursday, May 5, 2011

Sweet Potato

  I know many of you are chomping at the bit to know what fruit best compares to our child this week.  The answer to the question that is keeping you up late at night:  the sweet potato.  (What's the difference between a sweet potato and a yam?  I have no idea.)

  The baby is about 5.5 inches long this week, if you can believe it.  It weighs a little under 7 oz, so we're getting close to 1/2 lb.  It's growing and growing, just like Rachel is!  (Only don't tell her she's getting fat.  I don't think I'd like that any more than she does.  Let's use the word pregnant, folks, because she's got a great reason to grow.  To help support that growth, I did make a rhubarb cheesecake this week, and in my very humble opinion, it was darn good.  For the recipe, go here.  But I digress...)

  Tuesday is the big day--that's when we go to the ultrasound.  (How long ago does this last ultrasound seem?  ) I'm getting more excited about this every day.  Just the chance to see the baby and how much it's grown is exciting, and the chance to know the sex of the baby will be great.  Neither of us are leaning one way or another, but we're both looking forward to knowing.

  We'll be at 19 weeks next Monday--halfway there!  Hard to believe some days, but we're both so excited about the baby and all that it brings.  Except for that not sleeping part.  I'm so not excited for that... but it's well worth it.  (Remind me of this statement in December, please.)

  And just so you know how awesome Rachel is... sweet potatoes remind me of the time we went over to this wonderful old couple's house for dinner during my internship.  They made a sweet potato pie for dessert, and it was fourteen different kids of amazing.  I think I may have been licking the plate when I realized how slowly Rachel was eating it, not a particularly big fan of this particular pie--but she ate it, all of it if I remember correctly, and you never would have know that it wasn't her choice for dessert.

  This was before we went to Canterbury and I introduced Rachel to the world's greatest apple pie a la mode.  I love pie, especially with ice cream.  But I suppose that's another story for another day.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Yes, the rhubarb cheesecake is very good- I would highly recommend it! Keith spoils me :)