Thursday, April 3, 2014

Psalm 30

Psalm 30
Common English Bible (CEB)

  30 I exalt you, Lord, because you pulled me up; you didn’t let my enemies celebrate over me. 2 Lord, my God, I cried out to you for help, and you healed me. 3 Lord, you brought me up from the grave, brought me back to life from among those going down to the pit. 4 You who are faithful to the Lord, sing praises to him; give thanks to his holy name!
  5 His anger lasts for only a second, but his favor lasts a lifetime. Weeping may stay all night, but by morning, joy! 6 When I was comfortable, I said, “I will never stumble.” 7 Because it pleased you, Lord, you made me a strong mountain. But then you hid your presence. I was terrified.
  8 I cried out to you, Lord. I begged my Lord for mercy: 9 “What is to be gained by my spilled blood, by my going down into the pit? Does dust thank you? Does it proclaim your faithfulness? 10 Lord, listen and have mercy on me! Lord, be my helper!”
  11 You changed my mourning into dancing. You took off my funeral clothes and dressed me up in joy 12 so that my whole being might sing praises to you and never stop. Lord, my God, I will give thanks to you forever.

***********************

  When you're sick, it's easy to believe that you'll never get better.  You can give up hope pretty easily, because the minutes drag by and a day feels like a week.  Contrast that to moments of joy, which always seem to fly by too quickly.
  Here, the Psalmist reminds us that God promises to turn mourning into joy.  It may be a long night when we are weeping, but the night will break, and day will come, and all will be well.
  May we have the confidence to trust God and to believe that morning will come, that joy will overwhelm, and that pain and tears will fall away!

  May the Spirit remind you of the promises of God today!

No comments: