Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Psalm 38:12-22

Psalm 38:12-22 
New International Version (NIV)

  12 Those who want to kill me set their traps, those who would harm me talk of my ruin; all day long they scheme and lie. 13 I am like the deaf, who cannot hear, like the mute, who cannot speak; 14 I have become like one who does not hear, whose mouth can offer no reply.
  15 Lord, I wait for you; you will answer, Lord my God. 16 For I said, “Do not let them gloat or exalt themselves over me when my feet slip.” 17 For I am about to fall, and my pain is ever with me. 18 I confess my iniquity; I am troubled by my sin. 19 Many have become my enemies without cause; those who hate me without reason are numerous. 20 Those who repay my good with evil lodge accusations against me, though I seek only to do what is good.
  21 Lord, do not forsake me; do not be far from me, my God. 22 Come quickly to help me, my Lord and my Savior.

**************

  If I were ever to summon the necessary emotions to hurl myself out of a perfectly working airplane, I would desire one thing, and one thing only:  a parachute.  All the money in the world would be of no use to me at that moment if I did not have a parachute.  The adoration of millions would be of no use to me if I was in free fall without a solution.  Only one thing (well, I guess a jetpack would work, but you get the idea.  Plus, jetpacks are somewhat harder to come by.) would help.
  In the same way, only Christ can truly deliver us from the forces that seek to do us evil.  Sure, we may find some temporary security in other ways, but those will ultimately fail us.  We can try and buy our way out of trouble, or try to secure ourselves against it, but such methods will prove fruitless.
  Only God can protect us, and so it is wise to trust in him and wait on him.  If we grow impatient and tired of waiting, we are foolish to turn from God and seek more immediate, albeit temporary, assistance.  Waiting on God, no matter how foolish it may look, is the wisest course.  May we place our lives in his hands, and trust that he will not let us down.

May you feel God's nearness today

No comments: