Monday, April 7, 2014

Psalm 31:9-18

Psalm 31:9-18 
Common English Bible (CEB)

  9 Have mercy on me, Lord, because I’m depressed. My vision fails because of my grief, as do my spirit and my body. 10 My life is consumed with sadness; my years are consumed with groaning. Strength fails me because of my suffering; my bones dry up. 11 I’m a joke to all my enemies, still worse to my neighbors. I scare my friends, and whoever sees me in the street runs away! 12 I am forgotten, like I’m dead, completely out of mind; I am like a piece of pottery, destroyed. 13 Yes, I’ve heard all the gossiping, terror all around; so many gang up together against me, they plan to take my life!
  14 But me? I trust you, Lord! I affirm, “You are my God.” 15 My future is in your hands. Don’t hand me over to my enemies, to all who are out to get me! 16 Shine your face on your servant; save me by your faithful love! 17 Lord, don’t let me be put to shame because I have cried out to you. Let the wicked be put to shame; let them be silenced in death’s domain! 18 Let their lying lips be shut up whenever they speak arrogantly against the righteous with pride and contempt!

*********************

  I'm willing to bet we've all been there, in that dark place consumed with sadness and overwhelming pain.  Our self-esteem is awful, as we believe that even our closest friends judge us when they see us.  There seems to be little hope.
  Yet, even in the midst of such darkness, the Psalmist looks to the light.  It is God's ability to triumph over such powers of pain that inspires the Psalmist, and should inspire us, too.  God never promises that we will never experience pain.  Rather, he promises that he will bring us through pain into new life.  When we look to God in the midst of our pain, we are reminded of God's promise, of God's faithfulness, and God's power.
  In the midst of pain and sadness, we don't believe we have the power to escape its clutches.  But God has the power to lead us through, and so looking to God is the wisest thing to do.  He will transform our suffering.

  May you be inspired by the power of God today.

No comments: