Friday, May 2, 2014

Psalm 39:7-13

Psalm 39:7-13
American Standard Version (ASV)

  7 And now, Lord, what wait I for? My hope is in thee.
  8 Deliver me from all my transgressions: Make me not the reproach of the foolish. 9 I was dumb, I opened not my mouth; Because thou didst it. 10 Remove thy stroke away from me: I am consumed by the blow of thy hand.
   11 When thou with rebukes dost correct man for iniquity, Thou makest his beauty to consume away like a moth: Surely every man is vanity.
  12 Hear my prayer, O Jehovah, and give ear unto my cry; Hold not thy peace at my tears: For I am a stranger with thee, A sojourner, as all my fathers were. 13 Oh spare me, that I may recover strength, Before I go hence, and be no more.

*********************

  When you go to a restaurant for dinner, what do you call the person who serves you?  A waiter/waitress.  They wait on you.
  So think about what it means to wait on the Lord.  Often, we can interpret that as simply sitting and waiting for God to straighten everything out.  I'm not sure that's an entirely right attitude.  While ultimate cosmic justice certainly depends on God, our role is more active than passive waiting.
  Just as you'd be frustrated by a restaurant waiter who did nothing more than pull up a chair and wait for you to go into the kitchen and figure things out for yourself, I think we frustrate God when we don't take an active hand in his ongoing Kingdom work.  When we wait on the Lord, we actively serve Him, worshiping God and showing his love to the world around us, while recognizing that our actions are ultimately about him, not us.  We wait, we serve, God.
  So our hope is in God to set things right, but in the meantime, we follow God wherever he may lead us, into the messy world to let Christ's light shine.

May you follow the Spirit today

No comments: