Thursday, May 1, 2014

Psalm 39:1-6

Psalm 39:1-6
American Standard Version (ASV) 

 I said, I will take heed to my ways, That I sin not with my tongue: I will keep my mouth with a bridle, While the wicked is before me. 2 I was dumb with silence, I held my peace, even from good; And my sorrow was stirred. 3 My heart was hot within me; While I was musing the fire burned: Then spake I with my tongue: 4 Jehovah, make me to know mine end, And the measure of my days, what it is; Let me know how frail I am.
  5 Behold, thou hast made my days as handbreadths; And my life-time is as nothing before thee: Surely every man at his best estate is altogether vanity. 6 Surely every man walketh in a vain show; Surely they are disquieted in vain: He heapeth up riches, and knoweth not who shall gather them.

*******************

 Once, when I was a valet, I had the chance to drive a Rolls Royce.  The carpeting in the car was nicer than the carpeting I have in my house (it didn't have the spit-up stains, either), and everything about the car oozed luxury.  It was more like floating forward than driving.
  I didn't get too comfortable, though, because I knew it wasn't mine.  I was just taking care of it for a few minutes until its owner returned.  Had I grown too comfortable and started to make the car my own, I would have been rudely reminded of my place and my role.
  In the same way, we are wise to remember just who is in charge, and that we are not our own masters and creators.  Our lives are a gift, and our time on earth is a gift.  God is in charge, no matter how inflated our egos may get.  We cannot extend our lives, and we cannot take our stuff through the veil of death.
  When we remember this, it refocuses us on what really matters--worshiping God and sharing his love with those around us.

  May you be reminded of God's grace today

No comments: