Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Psalm 44:1-8

Psalm 44:1-8
New International Version (NIV) 

  1 We have heard it with our ears, O God; our ancestors have told us what you did in their days, in days long ago. 2 With your hand you drove out the nations and planted our ancestors; you crushed the peoples and made our ancestors flourish. 3 It was not by their sword that they won the land, nor did their arm bring them victory; it was your right hand, your arm, and the light of your face, for you loved them.
  4 You are my King and my God, who decrees victories for Jacob. 5 Through you we push back our enemies; through your name we trample our foes. 6 I put no trust in my bow, my sword does not bring me victory; 7 but you give us victory over our enemies, you put our adversaries to shame. 8 In God we make our boast all day long, and we will praise your name forever.

***********************

  When things are going well, it's pretty easy for me to take credit.  I could get carried away with a brilliant solution to a problem or how my determination helped me get through an obstacle.  If I did this often enough, I might even start to believe that I don't need God.  But, sooner or later, we all run into obstacles we can't overcome, hurdles we can't leap over, walls that will not move by our own accord.  If I have spent my life depending on my own strength, to whom do I turn in such moments?
  This is why it is so important to recognize that it it God's strength that enables us to achieve anything we do, no matter how big or small.  It is God's power that enables us to overcome.  It is God's wisdom that guides us through triumph.  If we trust in ourselves, we will eventually be disappointed.  If we trust in God, his strength will not find an opponent too great.  If we trust in God, we will still meet obstacles, and they may seem to overwhelm at times, but God will lead us through them, and we shall endure.

May you feel God's strength today

No comments: