Monday, January 14, 2019

1 Corinthians 9:24-27

1 Corinthians 9:24-27 
English Standard Version (ESV)

  I still remember trying to ride 25 miles on a bicycle not long after I had mono.  The words of my doctor ("You can ride your bicycle, just don't fall off, because your spleen might explode") were fresh in my ears, and I hadn't exactly kept up a rigorous training schedule because, well, I kept falling asleep.  I was the bicycle leg in a relay race, and I let my team down that day -- my lack of training hurt us all.
  Paul is urging us to treat our spiritual endeavors as seriously as we would if we were training for a race or preparing for a big test.  We're to prepare -- to set aside time for individual training, to find groups to train with that will push us farther, to study ways to improve and let our minds be focused on excelling in matters of faith. 
  Paul's also pointing out that the prize we get from spiritual endeavors is much better.  It's a permanent prize, a wreath of glory that will not fade with time or slip from memory.  Better than any trophy or medal, the eternal prize we receive as our reward is richer and deeper than we can imagine.
  The metaphor isn't perfect, as there are no standings, and the riches of eternal life are a gift we receive, not a prize to be earned through our efforts and training and discipline.  But our spiritual life is richer the more we train, and our relationship with God and with others guides us the more we focus upon it.  There is much to be gained, and if we focused on it as much or more as we focused on other things, the world would benefit from the selfless love that might pour forth from our churches.

No comments: