Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Hebrews 11:13-16

Hebrews 11:13-16 

  What's your greatest desire?
  I think it's very easy in this life to grow comfortable.  Even if you don't have everything you've ever wanted, over time we slowly put down roots.  I was talking with someone today who asked me how long I expected to be in my house.  I didn't buy it with the expectation that I'd necessarily live here for decades, but the longer I stay here, the more comfortable I am, and it's easier to imagine being here for a long time.  (Also, I hate moving).  Plus, staying in one place allows us to build relationships over the years, to build trust and learn the people around us.  I think there's a strong case for consistency.  I don't think there's a right or wrong way to do it -- just differences.
  What's important is that we keep the most important desire in front of us.  The more comfortable we grow, the less we stop yearning for what is to come.  Spiritually, we're called to always be growing, always stretching towards a better country, a heavenly one.  When our vision shifts downward, we forget to lift our eyes to the heavenly city, and our souls can easily become easily satisfied with what the world offers, much of which is wonderful, but it's not going to fill the ultimate desire of the human heart.  Ultimately, only God can do that, and as Christians, we should always be leaning forward, never completely comfortable, always knowing the best is yet to come.

No comments: