Friday, August 12, 2022

Summer 2022 Book Review

 Well, I'm a little behind on book reviews... so here's some one-sentence book reviews on books I've been reading since mid-June.  Honestly, you should just skip to the end... lots of mediocre books, a few strange ones, and one incredible book.

The Lioness, by Chris Bohjalian:  The story of a Hollywood star who travels on a safari in Africa that goes terribly wrong.  I was hoping for some wild twist or something unexpected.  There were some moments of suspense, but I never really connected with the characters.  It was ok.

The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress, by Robert Heinlein: Supposed to be one of the original sci fi novels about an uprising on the moon.  The most interesting character to me was the super computer that had a personality.  My expectations were too high here, I think.  It was fine.

The Investigator, by John Sandford:  Letty Davenport is an investigator, sent to solve unique problems by a senator.  In this one, she's trying to solve some oil thefts and ends up uncovering a scheme to cause chaos at the border.  Really liked the main character, thought the novel was a fun read.

The Bone Orchard, by Sara Mueller:  Um.... this was strange.  It's about a house of ill repute where the proprietor has grown several different bodies and there's a rebellion because a king has died and there are a number of things I still don't understand.  This was a little odd.

Forever and a Day, Trigger Mortis, and With a Mind to Kill, by Anthony Horowitz:  I first came across Horowitz when he wrote Moriarty in the style of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.  These three are James Bond books, written in the style of Ian Fleming.  They're great James Bond books -- I read them all years ago, and these were enjoyable in the same tradition.  If you like James Bond, these are great.

Sea of Tranquility, Emily St. John Mandel:  A time-travel novel.  Another where I never really connected with the protagonist.  The central question is whether we're living in a simulation or not.  It's interesting to observe these arguments when Christian values are removed.  If there is no resurrection, if the Gospel is not true, does it really matter?

The Diamond Eye, by Kate Quinn:  THIS WAS FANTASTIC.  YOU SHOULD ABSOLUTELY READ THIS BOOK.  THE BEST BOOK I'VE READ THIS YEAR!!!!  The fact that it's based on a true story is even more incredible.  It's the story of a sniper in the USSR army in WWII who eventually becomes besties with Eleanor Roosevelt.  I thought everything about the book was great -- I cared about the protagonist, wondered where the plot was going, was amazed at the hardships she overcame and the things that she did...  the whole book was fantastic.  Highly recommended.


No comments: