Friday, January 27, 2023

1 Corinthians 3:18-23

1 Corinthians 3:18-23 

  If I think of where I stand in the overall standings of powerful and faithful leaders in the church, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty far down the list.  As far as I know, I've never been included in the conversations to replace the next pope or lead the next revival.  I'm not spoken of in the same breath as some of the most dynamic leaders of the church.
  But Paul is telling us that we should never think of boasting in these things -- whomever you are, you belong to Christ.  That's the distinguishing characteristic of your life and your character, and nothing else matters in comparison to this.  You are Christ's and Christ is God's, and that should be the singular fact that guides us through each passing day.
  To think that anything else is more important is folly... it's like worrying about a piece of dust when a dump truck is pouring thousands of hundred dollar bills in your backyard, or being concerned about the sound of a person who coughed once fourteen rows up while you were listening to the greatest symphony ever be played perfectly.  Everything else pales in comparison -- you are Christ's!  What can the world throw at you that would take that from you?  There is no shadow to eclipse such joy.  You are Christ's!

No comments: