Friday, March 6, 2009

New Hope E-News

>Announcements

We’ll have a golfing outing on March 28—talk to Dewey if you are interested in that. A signup sheet will be in the narthex.

The children will be working here at the church on a service day on March 7. Please speak with Gerry Kaller if you have any questions about that.

Interested in giving blood? March 31 is Bloodanooga ’09! They’re targeting 1600 donors in 16 hours.

Want to study Ecclesiastes? One of the adult Sunday Schools will be tackling this every morning through April 5. Talk to Andy Sanislo if you have questions.

Hear ye!!! Hear Ye!!! There's a trip being planned for the week of May 2 - May 9, 2009 to help folks along the Gulf in Long Beach, Mississippi. We already have some six (6) people, a couple of whom are skilled to be Crew Chiefs plus our own Mike Kirkland of Lake Hills as our cook. Mike really knows how to deal with the food so we are very, very fortunate. We have also confirmed a place to stay at the Long Beach Presbyterian Church -- (I've stayed there and the facilities are very, very good.)
We are limited to 30 people in the church so don't linger in getting your name in to me. The cost is $100/person plus we will need to get ourselves down there -- car pooling and stuff like that. I do not know as yet what we will be doing but I would expect it will be along the line of building or fixing up. I think they have all the tools there; there is a site director whose name is Bruce and he seems very excited that we might be coming. We will plan to go down on Saturday and come back the following
Saturday. The bottom line on working on a site for age is 16. Talk to me if you have any other youths below that for they must be accompanied by an adult in their family.

Pray for…

The upheaval in Madagascar, and the Turks who are caught within it

The Meek family

Links

Chattanooga Green

Reading in Jail

A second Clean Water U site!

How to green up the air around you.

The ideal number of friends?

They’re willing to dogsled 1,150 miles. I’m willing to be grateful I’m not out there. Starting Monday.

I am not sure I believe this, but it’s an amazing tale.

Church History Quiz (Answer Below)

Q: What significant event is considered the beginning of the Protestant Reformation?

Text for Sunday, March 8

Genesis 17:1-7, 15-16

17When Abram was ninety-nine years old, the Lord appeared to Abram, and said to him, “I am God Almighty; walk before me, and be blameless. 2And I will make my covenant between me and you, and will make you exceedingly numerous.” 3Then Abram fell on his face; and God said to him,

4“As for me, this is my covenant with you: You shall be the ancestor of a multitude of nations. 5No longer shall your name be Abram, but your name shall be Abraham; for I have made you the ancestor of a multitude of nations. 6I will make you exceedingly fruitful; and I will make nations of you, and kings shall come from you.

7I will establish my covenant between me and you, and your offspring after you throughout their generations, for an everlasting covenant, to be God to you and to your offspring after you.

15God said to Abraham, “As for Sarah your wife, you shall not call her Sarai, but Sarah shall be her name. 16I will bless her, and moreover I will give you a son by her. I will bless her, and she shall give rise to nations; kings of peoples shall come from her.”

A Reading from the Confessions

THE WESTMINSTER CONFESSION OF FAITH 6.146

Of the Communion of Saints

1. All saints being united to Jesus Christ their head, by his Spirit and by faith, have fellowship with him in his graces, sufferings, death, resurrection, and glory:1 and, being united to one another in love, they have communion in each other’s gifts and graces,2 and are obliged to the performance of such duties, public and private, as to conduce to their mutual good, both in the inward and outward man.3

The Monastic Moment (from The Monastic Way.)

March 3

A brother asked an old man: What is humility? And the old man said: To do good to those who hurt you. The brother said: If you cannot go that far, what should you do? The old man replied: Get away from them and keep your mouth shut (A Desert Father)

Church History Answer

A: Martin Luther nailing his 95 Theses to the door of the Wittenberg Cathedral on 10/31, 1517. Printers spread copies around Germany of his theses, which attacked the selling of indulgences (John Tetzel, charged with the selling of indulgences in Germany, made claims that indulgences would make the sinner ‘cleaner than Adam before the Fall’ and ‘cleaner than when coming out of baptism’) and the exploitation that was at the heart of it. The pope’s response was to ask the Augustinian order to deal with the matter, and while Luther expected to be burned as a heretic, he was surprised to find that many of his fellow friars favored his teachings.

(Answer taken from Justo Gonzalez’s The Story of Christianity, Volume II, pg. 20-23)

WWW.NEWHOPECHATTANOOGA.ORG

No comments: