Friday, October 29, 2010

Halloween



Moving a little deeper than the death-star pumpkin, though, is the question of how do Christians celebrate Halloween. I hear of a lot of people who avoid it completely because it's 'of the devil'. I also hear stories of the church-haunted houses (I know that's not what they're called, but I forget) where they try and scare kids into making decisions for Christ. I believe that commitments to Christ shouldn't be based on fear, but that's another conversation for another day.

I don't buy the argument that we should avoid it because we don't like it. Personally, I don't care for Halloween. Not out of theological or personality issues, but I just don't like it. Maybe it's because I never was creative enough to come up with awesome costumes. Maybe I don't like candy. I don't know. But plenty of people in the church love Halloween.

The question I think we need to ask is this: how do we engage with Halloween to let the light of Christ shine through us without compromising our integrity?

The church is holding a trunk or treat on Saturday from 12-2. I hope that we will be proclaiming Christ's love by letting kids come to a safe place and see love in action. I hope the kids will see the church as a fun place to come and be with their friends. I hope they will see adults who are committed to fulfilling the promises they made to these kids in baptism--to support them and encourage them in all they do, that they may grow and mature in faith.

How else could we engage with Halloween? Dress as your favorite reformer--when someone asks you who you are, it gives you a chance to talk about John Calvin or Martin Luther, and their passion for Christ. Put a note in the bags of the kids who come to your door on Saturday or Sunday that says you will pray for them (then make sure you actually do!). Bake a your neighbor a savory treat and take it to their house as a gift. Use the holiday as an excuse to call a friend or family member and let them know you're thinking about them.

Rather than back away, let's swim into the midst of culture and be a beacon, pointing to Christ, letting the grace and love of God transform us and showing an alternative way to live to those in need of hope and peace!

No comments: