Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Psalm 11

Psalm 11

Beauty wins. It is a glorious thing to know the end of the story. I have often wondered what my life would be like otherwise, if I did not know the ultimate fate of my garden. Would I live in suspenseful fear, standing guard at the gate with pitchfork in hand, fighting valiantly to my last breath in the hopes that I would be able to save this place? Would I cower in the corner, shaking in the fetal position as I waited for the darkness to overwhelm this place? Could I live carefree knowing the end lurked behind every unknown tree, or would the pain of not knowing simply leave me captive to fear and dread?

But I have read the story. I know the end. I know the ultimate fate of the weeds I fling over the garden fence, as well as those that escape my gloved warriors and live to fight another day. Perhaps somewhere, deep within the soil, there are multitudes of weeds preparing their assault on this blessed place. It matters not. If I defeat every one, the enemy remains. If they should burst forth from the fertile soil and ensnare me in their tendrils, it matters not. I know how the story ends.

They may threaten me with chaos and despair, and for a season I may cower as I question the approach of spring, but I have read the story. I know the end.
Beauty wins.

Good prevails over evil and the weeds are hurled into the outer darkness to perish in a chaos far broader than they can imagine. The weeds can retreat until they can go no farther, and still they will be pursued by beauty and justice which shall overtake and destroy them. I know that beauty wins in the end, and for that I bravely fight my battle, day in and day out, trusting in the Lord to give me the strength to prevail where I might and to persevere where I must. I may lost minor battles for virgin earth in my garden, but in the end beauty will prevail and the Lord will triumph. Roses will bloom for time immortal and I will bask in their beauty. In time no weeds shall dare peer over my garden fence, for my defender loves beauty and hates evil, and in time, every time, beauty wins.

No comments: