Thursday, October 13, 2011

Caleb


  It's hard to believe Caleb is already a week and a half old.  It still seems like the first day we brought him home--I'm amazed at how much time I spend simply staring at him, in awe of all that he is.  For 9 months I stared at Rachel's stomach, wondering about the child growing inside, and now he is here, in my arms, in my life, in my heart, and I can scarcely believe it. His little fingers grip mine, and I pull his arms up high, and somewhere in the room my spirit soars with joy at how overwhelming it all is.

  It turns out that he's growing.  Like a weed, as my mother would say.  We went to the doctor last Friday for his 1-week checkup, and he weighed 6 pounds, 14 ounces.  On Monday, he weighed 7 pounds, 9 ounces!  The doctor says Rachel must have very nutritious milk.  I say that he's just that awesome.  I've already started filling out his application for his driver's license, and I'm sure he'll be painting with Habitat for Humanity before long.

  It's interesting how life takes on a different rhythm.  I headed back to work on Tuesday, and when I come home I get to come home to this wonder of a child.  My evenings look different, and will forevermore, for it's no longer about me--it's about him, and meeting his needs, while offering him all the love and caring we can.  Life has changed for the better, and while I will never be the same, I am thrilled at all that is going on in this house.  What a blessing we have, and how quickly I have forgotten life B.C. (Before Caleb)  It's much louder now, but much of that is simply my heart, beating with joy.

No comments: