Thursday, October 20, 2011

Things We Wish We Had Said

  It's interesting to read such a book as this now that I'm a father with a son of my own.  I no longer live in the hypothetical, wondering about how I'll raise my son.  I still ask such questions, but they are real, because my role as a father has begun--how I treat my son when I am home now is just as important as it will be later on.  I am setting priorities now, getting practices in line, so that he will always know how important he is to me.

  Things We Wish We Had Said: Reflections of a Father and Son is a series of letters between Bart and Tony Campolo.  I had expected it to be pretty light and fluffy, the kind of complimentary tone two grown men (Bart is 26 at the time of writing this) might take in letters that are meant to be printed in a book.  The reality, though, is pretty hard hitting.  They aren't afraid to be honest with each other--and they invite you into a relationship that is deeply trusting and loving.  They are open about each other's strengths and weaknesses, willing to discuss one another's fault, in the hopes that the mistakes they made along the way might benefit others.  They are not the perfect father-son combination by any means, but they aren't writing to perfect people.

  I enjoyed this book so much because it gave me the chance to think about my role as a father.  I know I'll make plenty of mistakes along the way, but the most important thing Tony Campolo gave his son was the gift of confidence in his love.  I want to do the same--to make sure that Caleb knows that I love him and value him more than my job, more than the other things that make up my life.  He is my priority, and I want to raise him to be confidant in himself, and in the love I have for him.  In all these things I hope to point to Christ, but if he doesn't hear and see my love it will be much harder to see God's love shining through.

  What are the things you've been longing to say to those you love? What message do you have for family members and friends that you haven't taken the time to share?  May we each be open with our love, not holding back or waiting for another day, but taking advantage of the present to reveal our love to one another.

No comments: