Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Devotional--Caleb, Part III

John 13:36-38
36 Simon Peter said to him, ‘Lord, where are you going?’ Jesus answered, ‘Where I am going, you cannot follow me now; but you will follow afterwards.’ 37Peter said to him, ‘Lord, why can I not follow you now? I will lay down my life for you.’ 38Jesus answered, ‘Will you lay down your life for me? Very truly, I tell you, before the cock crows, you will have denied me three times.
***********

 My son poops a lot.  I always knew in my head that infants went through a lot of diapers.  It is now being confirmed to me that they go threw even more diapers.  I suppose that everything in his body is so small that he just can't wait very long, but judging by the smile he sometimes gets on his face he is enjoying causing us to change so many diapers.

  As for us, each of us sins quite a bit.  Sometimes, it's hard to believe that we are sinning again just after we promised ourselves and God that we would try and stop.  It seems like it's out of our control.

  Just as my son is powerless to change his own diapers, so, too, are we powerless to fix the mess we have made in our lives through sin.  We cannot correct things no matter how hard we try--we have separated ourselves from God, and only God can build that bridge.

  Thanks be to God that He has graciously reached out to us in Christ.  Our sins have been forgiven--and, although we won't stop sinning until our redemption is complete in death, we are called to live with an attitude that looks forward in gratitude rather than back.  May you find moments of gratitude in your day today, and may they shape the person you are becoming.

Blessings

No comments: