Thursday, April 25, 2013

4/25 E-News


Announcements

Prospective Member Luncheon—Interested in joining New Hope? Want to learn more about being a member? On May 5, following worship, there will be a luncheon for all those interested in joining.

PotluckThis Sunday!

Service of Healing & Wholeness—This Sunday, 6:30. Come and let us pray for you, or come and pray for others.

Community Kitchen Spot
There are a lot of hungry and homeless children of God and the community needs some help feeding them. If you would like to help out, please bring the following items to church this Sunday & put them in the grocery cart.
Plastic Spoons
Paper Napkins
8 oz. Styrofoam bowls

New Hope News

Sunday School—This Sunday, the adult class will study 1 Timothy.

Men's BreakfastThis Saturday @ 8.

Laundry DetergentThe collection of detergent has resumed!

Pray For:

Christine Dyer

Connie Robinson

Colleen & Gary Smith

David Smith

Megan 


Links







Keith's Random Thoughts

Every morning I ask Caleb if he wants to go to daycare. His answer? An enthusiastic “NO!” We go anyway.

For starters, I don't think he fully understands the question. He loves daycare. Given the option, he might choose to be there all the time rather than home.

Secondly, I think he just likes using the word 'NO'. He's testing boundaries and declaring his independence.

Third, I don't believe the fully grasps the options. He could go to daycare, come to work with daddy or stay home by himself. Option #2 would be eternally frustrating for him, since he'd want to play and I need to work. Option #3 might get me in some hot water with the state of Tennessee, if Rachel didn't get to me first. There is no option #4, which is to stay home and play with Daddy all day.

So I take him to daycare. I hate dropping him off, but it's necessary in this chapter of our lives.

I think God works on the same level in relation to us as I do to Caleb.

I believe that God sees a lot bigger picture, one that includes a lot of variables that my mind can't grasp and that I can't fully understand. I like to believe that I know everything, but the reality is that I don't fully know how everything in this crazy world works together. God does, thankfully, but I don't, and so sometimes he just needs to haul me up by my armpits and carry me somewhere else, even though I may be kicking and screaming. God does things that I don't understand, and just because they upset me doesn't mean that it's not the best for me. God moves me around and speaks in different ways, and perhaps some day I will understand. Right now I complain an awful lot, but I trust in God.

I trust that one day I'll understand why I've been sick for 6 months. I trust that someday I'll understand why people I love get sick and die. I trust that someday I'll look down at the world and see why God allows bad things to happen even though he has the power to stop them. I trust that someday I'll see how everything is working together for good, even though sometimes it just seems like the night grows denser and the forest grows thicker and the light grows dimmer.

I trust God. I often sin, falling short and defying him, crying out 'NO' enthusiastically through my words or my actions, but I trust that my heavenly Father loves me and makes decisions that are for the best. I trust God, and I pray for the courage to live that out in everything I do and everything I am.


Text for this Sunday
Mark 6:45-52

Immediately he made his disciples get into the boat and go on ahead to the other side, to Bethsaida, while he dismissed the crowd. After saying farewell to them, he went up on the mountain to pray.

When evening came, the boat was out on the lake, and he was alone on the land. When he saw that they were straining at the oars against an adverse wind, he came towards them early in the morning, walking on the lake. He intended to pass them by. But when they saw him walking on the lake, they thought it was a ghost and cried out; for they all saw him and were terrified. But immediately he spoke to them and said, ‘Take heart, it is I; do not be afraid.’ Then he got into the boat with them and the wind ceased. And they were utterly astounded, for they did not understand about the loaves, but their hearts were hardened.

New Hope on Facebook & Twitter
New Hope on iTunes

No comments: