Monday, April 15, 2013

Luke 18:31-43


Dear Theophilus,
I know you want to encourage me in my search, but it’s so hard to keep reading some of these letters.  I can’t believe the things Jesus continues to say!  I appreciate your desire to interpret Jesus’ teaching to the rich man, who indeed seems to proclaim rather boldly his moral perfection, which I certainly could never do.
But what if Jesus truly meant that we’re called to sell everything and follow him?  What if we’re just interpreting his words for our own comfort, to make ourselves feel better about what might be an incomplete commitment to following him?  I can’t help but wonder if this is the case.  Then again, he doesn’t tell the crowd to do the same as the rich man, so maybe you’re right.  I know that Jesus is certainly right when he says that God can do things that humans cannot, because I am so confused by all of these teachings that I’ll never be able to follow half of them, even if my heart is fully committed to the cause!  God will have to be very gentle with this imperfect man.
I’m told that Jesus pulled the disciples aside after this to teach them privately, but it’s hard to imagine that he could get any peace from the follow-up questions that must have ensued after the lesson you described!  If I were in that crowd, I’d be hounding Jesus to get him to explain exactly what it all meant.  But Jesus manages to find some space and tells the disciples a rather disturbing account of what is to take place.  He tells them that they’re on the way to Jerusalem and that the prophecies regarding his life will all unfold in the near future.  He tells them that he’ll end up in the hands of the gentiles and be beaten, flogged, mocked, insulted and spat upon.  After that, he tells the group of very wide-eyed disciples, he’ll be killed, but will rise in three days.
I think it’s probably best that the crowds didn’t hear this, for they would have had no idea how to handle such words.  How could any of them imagine this teacher, this healer, being beaten and killed in the near future?  Even the disciples didn’t understand what Jesus was saying.  They heard the words, but could not comprehend them.  The meaning of this teaching was kept from their sight, and they went on following Jesus without a full understanding of everything that had been presented to them.
I don’t know if they had side conversations about it or just let it slide off their backs as though Jesus had never said anything, which is what I would have done, but fortunately Jesus soon presented them with something else upon which to focus.  Near Jericho, there was a roadside beggar who happened to be blind.  The crowd that was following Jesus was passing by and the man heard and sensed the commotion that was engulfing him.  Some replied to his inquiries as to the cause of all the ruckus by telling him that Jesus of Nazareth was present, and upon hearing this the blind man shouted out Jesus’ name, calling on Jesus to have mercy on him.
As you or I might do when one individual, especially one of low class like this beggar, begins to cause a scene when someone important is nearby, others tried to quiet the man down, but he was having none of this.  I can’t say that I blame him—it’s clear that the man knew of Jesus, and he’d probably heard stories about his healing powers and believed this to be his one chance to have his vision restored.  The orders to hush directed at him only caused him to cry out to Jesus, whom he addresses as the Son of David, to have mercy on him.
Jesus, hearing the man’s cries, halts, bringing the whole scene crashing into a newfound tension.  All must have been wondering if Jesus would do a miracle before their very eyes, or maybe they thought he, too, would order the man to silence.  If they had accounts of half the stories we do, they would surely have confidence that Jesus would offer the man mercy.  Jesus seems to hold a special compassion for the poor like this that so many of us do not have or emulate.
Jesus asks the crowd to bring the man to him, and I imagine one or two leaped at the task, because even though they typically wouldn’t have anything to do with the man, they’d want to appear helpful or useful to Jesus.  Plus, they’d then be nearby if anything miraculous happened!
Jesus asks the blind man directly what he wants, and the man answers with what must have been great anticipation, telling Jesus that he wants to see.  The reply is as simple as the request.  Jesus says, “Your vision is given to you, and you have been saved by your faith.”
What once had been a field of nothingness was suddenly replaced by a vision of all that surrounded him.  Colors that had been long forgotten returned as the man’s sight was immediately returned to him, and he received it with joy, praising God for what he had done.  Jesus had said that the man’s faith had saved him, and he joined in the crowd, following Jesus, all the people around him rejoicing at the miracle they had witnessed, praising God for what had just happened.  It must have been a carnival-like atmosphere, with everyone nearing the blind man to ask him about it, while others circled around Jesus, amazed at what they had seen.
What a miracle!  I love some of these stories, friend, for they bring me joy and hope and fill me with wonder at what has just happened!  I wish I could see these things today, but I am happy to read the accounts of witnesses.  I can understand and grasp these tales much better than many of the teachings of Jesus!
Sincerely,
Luke 

No comments: