Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Luke 19:45-48


Dear Theophilus,
Chilling words, my friend.  Each time I read them my pulse quickens and my brow sweats, for I fear such destruction coming my way.  I fear it for myself, for my family, that our own house might be a place that God looks upon with sorrow rather than pride.  We’ve lived a good life, but you have told us that is not enough.  I don’t want to be found wanting, to be left out for destruction, to be found opposing the work of God.  It chills me.
I imagine I could have joined that procession of Jesus into the city.  I could see myself hearing the roar of a crowd and joining in with their songs, praising God even if I did not have complete knowledge of God.  Everyone loves joyous atmospheres like that!  If talk turned to crucifixion and death, as you have indicated, I do not know that I would stick around for the conclusion of that story.  If armies come to destroy him, I probably would not linger in the shadows but flee for my safety.  Does that make me a coward, Theophilus?  Or a practical man?  And what might Jesus think of me? 
Strange how deeply I am affected by the thought of the judgment of a man whose power I often question in my heart.  I do not doubt the reality of his life here on earth, and yet the reality of his celestial power and reign is a question to which I have no answer.  Perhaps this fear is a hint in which direction this search should lead my heart, or perhaps it is just an example of how easily we get caught up in this grand story.  While I shall know the truth for certain one day, I would like to know if I stand in error beforehand, that the truth may arrive as a comfort rather than a cold, dark wind that leads me to a place of regret and pain.
While I seem to place a sense of urgency on myself, I pick one up from Jesus as well.  Once he had entered Jerusalem, he put on a scene that certainly caused much consternation among the local leaders as well as casual observers.  Perhaps it was carefully orchestrated to drive more individuals off the fence and into a decision.  Whatever its motive, it certainly left a lasting impression on all who witnessed it.
When Jesus entered the temple, he confronted those who had tables set up to sell things there.  It was common to partake in trade in the temple, but Jesus had no patience for those engaged in it, driving out all who were engaged in buying and selling, reminding them of a verse from long ago that said that the temple shall exist for prayer, not to be used as a den of robbers. 
Strong words from Jesus, and the news of him driving out of those conducting business would have spread like wildfire throughout the city and the religious community.  The scribes and chief priests were furious, searching for any reason they could find to have him killed, but they feared the crowds, who followed him en masse and hung on every word of his teachings.  He continued to teach in the temple, bold in the face of those who opposed him, conveying his message to those who gathered.  I don’t have record of what he taught, but I’m sure he used stories and direct messages to speak directly to their hearts.  I’ve read and related enough of these tales to know how effective they are, and I also know how stubborn the hearer can be!  I hold back, and I’m sure many of them did, too, out of fear or comfort or uncertainty.  Jesus would have pleaded for them to choose, but they waited, as I wait, for some confirmation.
So I am no different, friend, than those who gathered years ago.  I hear the stories and marvel at the scene, and yet commitment is such a struggle.  I know you offer words of encouragement, and I ask for your patience and understanding.
Sincerely,
Luke

No comments: