Monday, April 8, 2013

Luke 17:11-19


Dear Luke,
You have managed to pack several years’ worth of deep conversations into one letter!  You bring up talk of judgment, a question the church has wrestled with for ages, and by the end you’re discussing the importance of integrating faith and life, the importance of which we see so often in Jesus’ calls to discipleship.  If I could adequately answer your questions, the world would no longer have any writing material!
To be blunt, I believe that our faith in Christ is the basis for judgment.  I don’t know when or how or many of the other answers as to judgment, but I plan on clinging to Christ for all I’m worth when my time comes.  Jesus spoke about it often, and I don’t know if I have a good picture of what it will be like based on all the things I’ve learned, but the one thing I’m certain of is that without Christ, I don’t stand a chance at heaven.  I believe that the gift of Jesus Christ is the only thing that prevents me from suffering the same fate as the rich man in Jesus’ parable.  I don’t think that feeding Lazarus would have earned the man a trip to be with Abraham, but a saving faith in Jesus would probably have led him to look at the man differently.  Does that make sense?  He couldn’t have earned his salvation through his actions, but his actions would have changed if an authentic faith had taken hold of his heart. 
I hope that answers your question.  I don’t think perfection is required.  If it was, we’d all be hopeless—you can see that for yourself in these letters!  Jesus spreads his love on plenty of people with sinful pasts, and he acknowledges, as you said, the reality of our mistakes and our sins.  We’re not going to be perfect—our faith simply needs to be lodged in him, and in him alone.  If we place our faith in ourselves to be good enough and follow every letter of the law, I think we’ll find disappointment at the end of the road. 
Our lives, then, need to reflect our faith.  We live a life that proclaims that Christ is within us, rather than living in such a way that will make God love us more.  Our faith should take hold and change the way we do everything!  I certainly wouldn’t fault Jesus for expecting this.  I’m sure the church would survive if Christians stopped integrating their faith with their lives, but I don’t know how effective or faithful it would be in its witness.  Why would people want to join the church if the faith we proclaimed didn’t seem to matter in anything we did?  Of course, some people join and seem to be only focused on making sure they don’t share the fate of the rich man illustrated in the parable.  Is this true faith?  I don’t know, Luke, and I leave that answer to Jesus!
I have discovered a wonderful little story about Jesus meeting ten lepers while he was headed to Jerusalem.  In some little village Jesus was approached by ten lepers crying out for Jesus to have mercy on them.  While most polite citizens would have kept their distance or avoided the lepers all together, Jesus instead gives them the command to go to the priests and show themselves.  Completely trusting in Jesus, they headed in that very direction, making the astonishing discovery on their way that they were healed!  I like to picture them screaming for joy in the middle of an alley, being shrouded in darkness and running into the light, dancing with more vigor than one would think possible.  They must have stared at their skin over and over again, wondering if this was all just a dream or if Jesus had indeed given them their lives back. 
One of these ten then did what would seem natural.  Perhaps the true surprise of the story is that the other nine chose not to emulate this one.  This man turned back and returned to Jesus, falling at his feet with thanks on his tongue as he praised God.  Jesus must have been thrilled at the sight of this man, restored to life, praising God.
Jesus does ask the man one question.  I think he knows the answer but wants to hear what the man has to say.  He asks him if there were not ten of them crying out for healing.  I doubt that he was expecting an answer—I believe he asks the question for the benefit of the disciples and whoever else might have been around, reminding them of how important it is to thank God for all the gifts we are given.  Jesus asks why none of them returned to praise God except for this one, who was a foreigner!  Jesus is lifting up the importance of proper faith over proper heritage, again focusing on the here and the now. 
Jesus has the man stand, and with pleasure in his voice he commands the man to go on with life, secure in the knowledge that he was healed by his faith.
Again, to return to our previous conversation, I don’t believe the strength or size of his faith heals him—I think the object of his faith heals him.  Though he may have had small faith, it was in the right person, and that faith in Christ enables him to do great things. 
This is a wonderful story, Luke.  I love the emphasis it puts on giving thanks, on praising God.  I hope that my life is an illustration of how wonderful it can be to praise God with one’s whole heart.  I don’t claim to be perfect, but I am hopeful that I will ferret out all the things in my life that prevent me from praising God and giving thanks for all he has given me. 
Sincerely,
Theophilus 

No comments: