Monday, May 15, 2023

Proverbs 1:8-9

Proverbs 1:8-9

  I was thinking about this verse a lot on Mother's Day.  Things would've been a lot easier if I'd been wise enough to hear what my parents were trying to teach me.  I suppose I gained a lot of wisdom from making plenty of mistakes, but how many wrong paths could've been prevented if I'd listened.  I suppose that's true for every teenager out there, or at least most of them, so I'm not unique in this situation, but often we only realize on the other side of mistakes that our parents were right all along!
  We often take the same posture towards Scripture -- we pridefully believe that we know best, and yet after getting it wrong, we realize how wise Scripture can be.  The guidance in the pages of the Bible is timeless and has stood the test of centuries, but often I'm out here thinking that my forty years on this planet has prepared me better!  Humility can be hard...
  When we read Scripture, may we do so with hearts prepared to be shown how we are wrong, and may we pray for the humility to let the light shine into the darkest corners of our hearts and offer correction, that we may be led back to the truth by the words of Scripture.

No comments: