Monday, February 21, 2011

Eyelids

Week 8

A big week, apparently. Eyelids begin to form.

The baby is supposed to be about 1/2 long by the end of the week, and yet such intricate things as eyelids begin to form. Can the baby see? (I guess there probably aren't many lights in the womb, and there wouldn't be much to see even if it could see, but it must develop the ability to see at some point.)

As the baby's eyelids form, and I ponder it's ability to see, I must also recognize that how I see is changing, too. I had LASIK not that long ago, and that changed the mechanical way my eyes see, this changes something spiritual.

I now see the world through a lens of responsibility. It's no longer enough to simply life for myself--there is now another life, a completely dependent one, that will be filled with neediness and love. How can I be sure that the environment surrounding this baby is filled with love? How might it understand the world as a place in which it can love and be loved? How do I help it see life as a chance to worship God?

How I see changed as eyelids form...

and life begins anew once more.

No comments: