Monday, August 22, 2011

Found in Chattanooga

  So we had an incredible baby shower at the church on Sunday.  I was humbled by the experience.  Exhausted, as well--I had no idea baby showers were so exhausting!  Rachel and I had so much fun--it was neat to gather with friends and family and simply enjoy an afternoon, to prepare for the baby and look forward to the day when little Achilles joins our world!

  It's also humbling to be in the presence of so much parenting experience--I was in a room with a lot of people who have raised a lot of children, and it is my hope that I can be humble enough to listen to their wisdom and wise enough to know how best to raise our own child.  In some ways it will be completely unique, but there is plenty I can learn from others.

  I know there were countless hours poured into the preparation of the baby shower--I am beyond grateful to those who poured their time and their hearts into the shower.  It's been such a blessing to be a part of this church family--to see the way that love is poured out on one another, and to also be the recipient of that love.  Rachel and I have been welcomed with open arms, and we look forward to Achilles being a part of the church family, being loved and guided by so many loving friends.

  We lean on one another for strength and support, and it was fun on Saturday to see so many people gathered to lend their support now, for I know that we will be able to count on their presence in the days, weeks, months and years to come.  We don't go through any of this alone--we would collapse under the weight if such a burden was to be undertaken.

  We are also amazed to see how the nursery has taken shape!  It is filled with toys for small hands and little arms, as well as clothes for a tiny body to squeeze into!  I can stare at those socks for the longest time and wonder about the little feet that will occupy them in a short time.  What a miracle of creation a baby is!  We have many, many books, which will keep us from setting up Achilles with his own Amazon.com account for a few months.  I hope he is soon as addicted to books as I am!

  In fact, perhaps the only thing we haven't received at a baby shower is the following, seen at a local store here in town:



No comments: