Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Romans 9:14-18

Romans 9:14-18
English Standard Version (ESV)

  I have a lot of thoughts on how this country should be run.  My wife hears most of these, but beyond that, I keep them mostly to myself, since I haven't earned the right to be President and then be in a place where espousing my views on the country's direction can have much effect.  Perhaps, when I earn the right to be in influential places, I'll share my ideas on what can make this place run better.
  In the same vein, I try not to tell God what to do very often.  God is infinitely wise and merciful and kind and gracious.  I, on the other hand, am sinful and broken and tend to mess most things up.  Since God created the universe, I think it's best run by him.
  Paul is reminding us who is in charge.  We are all sinful and have fallen short of the glory of God, thus none of us have earned the right to tell God how to run things.  We should approach God with humility, trusting in his grace and mercy, aware that God hears our prayers and petitions, but understanding that God's wisdom is greater than our own.

No comments: