Tuesday, February 8, 2011

The Black Eyed Peas

  Who says Americans can't unite around a common cause?  Put of over 60,000 votes, a vast majority of the country, from red and blue states, and unanimously declared that the Black Eyed Peas gave an abysmal halftime show at the Super Bowl.  Even the 3500 votes that came in from outside of the country agree with the results.






  But then I started to wonder how I would feel if such a poll had similar results on the quality of my preaching.  What horrors would cross my mind if I knew someone took pleasure in my public humiliation?

  After all, it wasn't like the Black Eyed Peas tried to be terrible.  They didn't even do anything outlandish (Wardrobe malfunction, anyone?) or forget the words to their songs (I'm looking at you, Christina).  Sure, there were some terrible decisions made, like having Fergie sing with Slash, but they tried their best, didn't they?  Shouldn't I at least feel sorry for them, rather than delight in the backlash at their performance?  Does their downfall somehow elevate me?

  I can't figure out why I take pleasure in their failing.  It's not only the Black Eyed Peas--whenever public figures are falling, the American public seems to find ways to delight in their disgrace.  Sympathy and empathy often rarely show up in the conversation.  Do we take seriously the fact that each person is fearfully and wonderfully made in the image of God, crafted as his handiwork and beloved by him?  Do we hope and pray that each individual find the true and abundant life in Jesus Christ, and support them however possible when they fall, pointing to the cross and the resurrection, our hope in chaotic times?  Do we always point to Christ, to the love and compassion he showed to all people?

  I hope we do.  I hope I do.  I hope I view the difficult times of others (and myself) as opportunities to pray and to love, to witness to the endless love of Christ.

No comments: