Monday, February 21, 2011

A few books



Ever find one of those books that you've had and have no idea how you got them? On Saturday morning I discovered one of those--The Justice Game by Randy Singer. I was looking for a fictional book to read, and after about two chapters of this, I was hooked. I finished it up by Saturday night! I couldn't set it down--I was cooking lunch with one hand cooking and the other holding the book.

The book dives into the justice system, focusing on two young lawyers in a huge case. The case is whether a gun manufacturer is liable for the crimes committed by the guns it sells. What I enjoyed most about the book was that it forces the reader to think about issues of liability and justice--who is liable, and what punishment should they deal with? It forces the reader to wrestle with both sides of the issue, while maintaining a very interesting storyline. Was the ending a little too neat and tidy? Perhaps--but every once in a while it's nice to get away from the real world, especially after reading a book about the horrors of gun crimes!

Another book I finished this weekend was Mentor Like Jesus, a guide to mentoring by Regi Campbell. It's a book about being a mentor, which Regi Campbell does every year for 8 young men in Atlanta. He talks about the importance of mentoring, the multiplying effect it has, and the eleven important aspects involved. The thing I took away from this short book was the focus on spiritual growth--there are things I can do now to put myself in a position to be a mentor later, and I need to be focused on those things. I'm not in much of a place to mentor now, but if and when that time comes, I hope that I am willing to lead with the vulnerability and courage that Campbell does. I wouldn't rush out and buy this book unless there were individuals you knew you wanted to mentor, but it's worth considering how you are growing spiritually and what aspects of growth you need to focus upon so that when the time arises, you will be mature enough to lead someone else into a deeper relationship with Christ.

No comments: