Thursday, February 24, 2011

Time

  It has occurred to me in the last few days that we may not actually have to time raise a child.  How do people do this, anyway?  Life is busy, hectic and stressful enough--now I'm suddenly supposed to have the time and energy to devote to another human life, this being one that is completely and totally dependent upon me?  How? Or, more importantly, when?

  I wonder if my life is packed full of stimuli because I don't know what to do with empty time frames or because I truly need all these stimulating things in my life.  What might happen if I simplified, if I had time to simply be still and acknowledge that God is in control?  Are these outlets signs that I am trying to control everything?  Or am I simply unfocused?

  I wonder how an infant picks up on the stress of the family.  I have no doubt that they do, and yet I fear that our own stress will lurk in the corners of our lives, illuminating the cracks in our well-being that busy-ness and demands create in our foundation.  So much to do, so little time--how do we lead a life pleasing to God while pursuing our vocations while raising a family while making/creating time for Sabbath?  How do we demonstrate healthy priorities while chasing our tails in the world?

  Where does the time come from?

  How do I make the time by setting priorities, by focusing and pursuing with passion, rather than filling the time?

No comments: