Saturday, May 23, 2015

A Prayer for Saturday, May 23

Holy God,
  I am unable to do this on my own.
  It's hard to admit, Lord, that I am completely dependent on you, and yet it is so necessary, because when I can own the fact that everything depends on you, that means I can stop trying to do this all on my own.  Through my efforts, I want to achieve fame and renown, be respected and liked, be good at everything and have others think I am successful, whatever that word means.
  But the reality is that when I lay down my head upon my pillow at night, it is you who will sustain me through the night.  Only by your grace will I wake the next day.  Only by your love will I make it through any of the days that awaits me, and only by your wisdom will I manage to get things right every now and again.  If I succeed at a certain effort, it is because you have given me abilities and guided things to a good outcome.  If I fail, it is because I am human and not perfect.  My success or failure does not determine your love for me.  That has long ago been sealed.
  So Lord, I say thank you.  Thank you for your deep and abiding love, thank you for abundant grace, thank you for reaching out and reaching down and never giving up on me.  Thank you for every day, every relationship, every gift, and may I never believe I have done it all on my own.  Everything is due to you, O Lord, and so I whisper a word of thanks.  You are good.

Amen

No comments: