Saturday, May 30, 2015

A Prayer for Saturday, May 30

Lord,
  On the 7th day, you rested.
  After creating the sun and the moon and the stars and the planets and the plants and the fish and the animals and humankind, you rested.
  Not because you needed to, but rather because you wanted to instill a cycle of rest into life, because you wanted to teach us to rest, to let go of our self-centered desires to make the world go faster than it should, to try and hold the whole thing up on our own and forget that the world rests in your hands, rather than our own.  You rested, because you wanted to teach us to trust you, to pause before you and recognize our dependence on you.  You rested, because you knew our weary and anxious minds would need a regular pause to re-center ourselves on your grace and goodness.  You rested, and you commanded us to rest as well.
  In my life, Lord, I keep myself so busy that I scarcely take time to pause, let alone to seek true rest in you.  Setting aside a day, or an hour, or a few minutes seems like a sacrifice too large, so I barrel forward, seeking to complete tasks that continually arise or loom ever before me.  My feet, hands, and weary mind chug on, constantly busy, placing myself and my tasks in the center of my attention.
  Teach me to rest, Lord, and lead me beside still waters, that I may rediscover the truth that in you, I shall not want.  Show me the idolatry of my busy-ness, and slow me down enough to remind me that my life, this world, depends on you rather than me.  Help me see that your providence is enough, and may my life revolve around you.  Lead me to your rest, Lord.

Amen

No comments: