Thursday, August 1, 2019

John 6:60-65

John 6:60-65 
English Standard Version (ESV)

  I like to think of myself as having worked hard throughout school and my career, so I sometimes look back and think about where my work has taken me.  Of course, I wouldn't be where I am without the support of countless teachers, my family and many others with whom I've shared this journey.  I haven't made it on my own, as much as I may like to think so at times.
  With faith, it's impossible for us to make it to heaven on our own.  One transformation in society is that we no longer think or talk about sin.  We like to think that we're mostly pretty nice and good people, and surely God wouldn't reject us since we're pretty good.  But we're not good enough -- we never will be.  We all have sin in our lives, and even smallest speck of sin is enough to keep us out of the Kingdom of God -- that's how supreme the holiness of God is.  We're not worthy -- we can't be worthy.  The only way we can enter the Kingdom is if Jesus Christ imputes his righteousness to us, which he does by taking the punishment of the sin of humanity on the cross.  The penalty is paid, and we who were sinful are able to say that we are now worthy to stand before God.  Not by our own efforts, but because of the gift of grace.
  It's hard to accept that we cannot do this on our own, but it's also wondrously freeing, because then we can stop trying to earn our salvation and live as a grateful people.  Some people grumbled because of how hard it is to accept what Jesus is teaching, but Jesus is trying to give life to a people shackled by rules who can no longer see God as loving and merciful.

No comments: