Thursday, August 8, 2019

John 7:25-31

John 7:25-31 
English Standard Version (ESV)

  Evidence matters.  Whatever you're trying to prove, it always helps to have evidence. 
  When Jesus was pressed by John's disciples to prove that he was the Messiah, he told them to look around, and to see if what Jesus was doing fulfilled the prophecies about the Messiah.  Here, many of the leaders are seeking to arrest Jesus because they fear a loss of power and destabilization of their lives, but many others believe, because they see the evidence of Christ's identity as the Messiah in the works that he has done.  Even though his teachings may not be perfectly clear, they see his acts and understand that they confirm his identity as the Messiah.
  When people ask me why I believe that Jesus Christ is the son of God, I point to the evidence.  I point to the evidence that surrounds the historical accuracy of the Gospels and the case for the historical truth of the resurrection (If you haven't read Lee Strobel's books, I highly recommend them).  I also point to the evidence in my own life -- to the singular moments I've had in my life that seem to be connections to Christ as well as to the transformation I've experienced through my (albeit often deeply flawed) efforts to follow Christ.  I've seen God at work in the community as well as my own life, and this is all evidence that supports the reality of God and the love of Christ for me.  While I want to believe, I build my faith on more than just desire -- I choose to believe the evidence.

No comments: