Monday, August 19, 2019

John 8:31-38

John 8:31-38 
English Standard Version (ESV)

  This may be one of the most important passages for modern America.  Jesus is talking about freedom, true freedom, but those who are listening don't even realize they are enslaved.  They think they are free, but they are slaves to sin.  Sin has its talons hooked in deep to their flesh, but it's such a part of their lives that they don't even recognize it.
  In our modern world, we don't talk much about sin any more, and in some of the ways the word is thrown around, it's not always helpful and constructive.  We can talk about sin without condemning one another (remember, we are all under sin, but in Christ, we are call offered freedom from that sin.  But it's important for those in the church to remember the first part -- each of us is condemned by our own sin.  If we needed to compile evidence for my own sin, there is more than enough to condemn me, but Christ has set me free!).  We can talk about how sin enslaves us, about how greed works on us, about how hatred and discrimination divides us. 
  It's important to have these conversations -- because when we see our sin, only then can we understand how thirsty we are for freedom, and only then can we recognize that a lot of our 'solutions' don't have the power to set us free, and then we can work towards the conclusion that Christ, and Christ alone, offers us true freedom.
  I thirst for the freedom of Christ.  I see the ways that sin is at work in my heart and my community and my family, and I long for the truth and the freedom that comes with it!!

No comments: