Thursday, August 22, 2019

John 9:1-7

John 9:1-7 
English Standard Version (ESV)

  Last night, I pulled the tire off my car to discover a screw stuck into its shoulder.  The appropriate word for this is 'disappointing'.  I've had the tires for a while, but am always hoping to stretch them a little farther. 
  Immediately, I started thinking back to what I could have done differently.  Where did I drive over this screw, and if I had only swerved a little this way or that, then my tire wouldn't be leaking air.  I was looking for a reason.  In reality, I have a screw in my tire because random things happen.  I didn't think about the 150 screws I've probably narrowly avoided over the last few years -- I only saw the one that I did hit.
  I like having someone or something to blame.  It makes me feel like I'm in control.  We're always looking for something to blame when bad things happen - we don't like to admit that sometimes, bad things just happen.  There is evil in the world, and sometimes, we fall victim to it.
  The disciples were asking if this man was born blind because of sin.  His blindness wasn't the cause of sin.  God doesn't strike us with illness because we sin.  Sometimes illness tragically happens, and notice how God responds here -- with pity, paying personal attention to the victim.  Jesus intercedes to help and to serve. 
  May we never look to blame someone for their illness.  May we instead step in with love and with care and with compassion, ready to serve, ready to love.

No comments: