Monday, September 14, 2020

Colossians 1:1-2

Colossians 1:1-2 

  Grace to you and peace from God our Father.

  The other day, I was out on a walk with Charlotte.  Not far off, a motorcycle came over a rise and was moving towards us, not overly fast or loud.  Regardless, Charlotte takes both hands and covers her ears.  Immediately, the motorcycle slows even more, and as he passes, he raises his face shield and apologizes, despite the fact that he wasn't in the wrong at all.  
  I keep thinking about this, stunned by his graciousness and attempt to bring peace to my daughter's world, despite the fact that he wasn't driving loudly or aggressively in the first place.  It was instinctual kindness and selflessness.  
  Perhaps I keep thinking this over in my head is that this is precisely what God does for us.  When God sees us in trouble, struggling against sin, God inconveniences himself and makes things right, at great personal cost to God.  God didn't cause our sin, but God set things right through God's actions at Calvary.  God saves us.
  I don't know what opportunities are before you this week.  Perhaps some are obvious, and others may well not be.  But I keep hoping to be a person that acts out of instinctual grace, so that others may experience grace and peace through simple kindness.

No comments: