Thursday, September 24, 2020

Colossians 2:6-15

Colossians 2:6-15 
English Standard Version 

  My friend Mike texted me the other day with a reference he had found in a book he was reading about the Puritans -- they had an awareness of the reality of God that was impressive.  They perceived God as a consistent reality in their lives, pressing in on every aspect of their lives.  God's claim over all of life was real to them, and they lived like it.
  In 21st century America, it's easy to go about our lives with no knowledge or awareness of God.  Some people cross paths with God on Sunday mornings, but God is present on Tuesday mornings and Wednesday nights.  God has a claim on your cup of coffee and Saturday morning newspaper.  All of creation is bursting with the glory of God -- but we don't always notice this.  It's hard to live like this -- I lost track long ago of the days where I promised myself that I would notice God while I was at work and then failed quickly.  
  But Paul is correct -- we were dead in our sins.  We were dead.  We don't think like this, but it's true.  After Jesus raised Lazarus from the dead, do you think Lazarus went another day in his life without remembering that one time that he was dead?  I'd be surprised if he went an hour without thinking about it, so astounding was the miracle.  He was dead for days!  And then he's sitting in the sunshine enjoying lunch.  
  How much more should we be amazed that Christ, in whom the fullness of God dwells, died for our sins that we might be completely forgiven and brought back from the dead?  We who chose to be lost due to sin have been found by the grace of God, and rather than being punished, we are rewarded, because Christ took our punishment.  
  If I found someone to pay off my mortgage, I'd be so thrilled I would tell everyone about it.  Do I do the same in the fact that someone found me and paid off my eternal debt?

No comments: