Friday, October 20, 2023

Mark 9:33-37

Mark 9:33-37 

  I remember when I was younger and I'd end up in really pointless conversations and an adult would ask me what I was talking about and there'd be a long drawn out silence as I tried to figure out how to say that I was actually talking about something else, something that would make me sound more intelligent.  At those times, I always felt ashamed.  Have you ever had a moment like that, where you were caught red-handed and you tried to come up with a better reason?
  This is where the disciples are -- they're with the literal son of God, and they're arguing about which of them was the greatest.  They're not focused on Jesus at all -- rather about elevating their own status.  
  Jesus upends all of that, by putting a child in front of them and telling them that greatness comes through service.  It's not about building up a reputation based on your merits -- it's about finding ways to serve others.  We become great by building up others, including children.  Such is the path to greatness, the one that Jesus walked and then invites each of us to walk as well. 

No comments: