Thursday, March 22, 2012

April 1865

  If you want to learn more about the conclusion of the Civil War, this is a great book for that.  Jay Winik writes April 1865: The Month That Saved America, a book that captures the precarious place in which America resided in the month that saw the cessation of hostilities as well as the assassination of the president, Abraham Lincoln.  Winik argues, and does so well, that this month was a pivotal month in the country's history.  By the end of the book, it's hard to disagree with him.

  Throughout the book, Winik lifts up people, often in positions of leadership, who turned out to be the right people in the right place at the right time.  Had another person had their responsibilities, we can't say that the end result would be the same.  Had they not faithfully executed their tasks the way they did, the country might be radically different today.  They did what they thought was best, but often there was conflict swirling around them.

  When I think about my life in the church, there have been countless individuals around me who have helped me throughout my life.  They have lived their lives, as faithfully as possible, and in so doing set an example for me to follow.  Several of them encouraged me and helped me develop as a man of faith.  They were pivotal in my life--had they not showed up at just the right time and been a person of integrity, I don't know if my life would be the same.

  Often, I believe we undersell the importance we have in the lives of those around us.  We don't realize how important our example, our friendship, our encouragement is.  May we seek to lead lives of integrity, and in so doing, may we encourage those around us in their own journeys, that they may recognize the importance of faith and be inspired by the light of Christ shining through us.

No comments: