Friday, June 12, 2015

A Prayer for Friday, June 12

Dear God,
  On this Friday morning, as the week draws to a close, I pray that I may finish all things well.
 
  You, Lord, never cease to complete something.  When you make a promise, you live into it.  When you assure the people of your will, you do not stop until your will is complete.  There is nothing to stop your will, nothing to prevent your plans from unfolding.  In our time, humans have erected numerous barriers, plenty of obstacles, each one that should allow us to pursue our own ends, rather than yours.  And yet you push through them, moving your kingdom forward, tearing down our walls and reminding us that you alone are God.  We have sought our own kingdoms, believing that human strength can stand against you, and yet our own kingdoms erode and collapse, while your kingdom continues.
 
  Precious Lord, you have painted a picture of the end, when your kingdom alone shall stand, when darkness shall be vanquished and light alone will remain.  Your love will conquer fear and hatred, and your purity and perfection will reign forever.

  Teach me, O God, to finish well.  May I pursue your plans with all my might, and may I not give up, weary and distracted, to pursue something easier, something less.  May I not turn from the purpose of living faithfully, challenging though it may be.  This world will try and distract me, luring me from a singular purpose through the temptations of money and ease, and I pray for the courage to continue on, day by day, step by step, moment by moment, that I may serve you faithfully until the end, trusting you to carry me through and into eternity.

Amen

No comments: