Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Ephesians 1:15-21

Ephesians 1:15-21 
English Standard Version (ESV)

  Jesus heals the blind a number of times, and we tend to take some of these for granted, but there is something instructive for us.  We can marvel at Jesus' ability to heal the blind, but we can also take the next step and realize how blind we are.  Jesus tries teaching this to the Pharisees, but they are willfully blind, whereas I think we just stumble into our blindness  We get caught up in the cares of the world and don't nurture our sight, so we lose it, often without even realizing it.
  If you could have the eyes of your heart enlightened, how would your life change?
  If I could, I think I'd see more clearly the hope of the faithful.  If I could see with the eyes of my heart, I'd give thanks for the witness of the church, that is constantly praying for each of the saints of the church to run the race with endurance.  If I could see clearly, I'd have a better understanding of the immeasurable greatness of God's power and recognize that the most faithful thing I can do is bow the knee before the King of heaven.
  Sin clouds my vision, and so I repent of the fact that I stare too longingly at the things of this world, and pray for the wisdom and courage to see, to truly see, the people around me in the same way God sees them.  These are not people to pass by lightly, but rather they are beloved hand-crafted creations of the one true God -- I should treat them as such, with reverent love and humble hearts.  In so doing, I honor the one who created them, and discover my true self through acts of service, and in such a life, I am drawn closer to God, prepared for the eternal Kingdom.

No comments: