Thursday, January 23, 2020

Psalm 119:57-64

Psalm 119:57-64 
English Standard Version (ESV)

  In the hardest nights, in the bleakest moments, in the most desperate times, what do you do?
  Most of us don't like to think about those.  When I look back on my darkest days, I can't say that I handled the stress well.  I got lost in fear and uncertainty, and the darkest clouds of mourning gathered so closely around my soul that I didn't bother to look for the light.  I'm not proud of my reactions, just honest.
  The Psalmist rises at midnight, in the darkest hour of the night, to praise God, because the Psalmist is certain of where his hope comes from.  Knowing that the earth is full of the steadfast love of the Lord, the Psalmist searches for it, even in the darkest hours, because he is confidant that the future is in God's hands.
  As for me, I've been through some dark valleys.  I've seen death linger at houses too soon, and I've seen brokenness erode relationships.  I've seen sin creep into the depths of my heart.  In the darkest hours, I've looked inward, and found myself lacking.
  The Psalmist looks to the hills, from where our help comes.  If I were wiser, I would do the same.  I know now what the answer to life's hardest questions is, and I pray that in your trials, when the cords of the wicked ensnare you, that the steadfast love of the Lord will be made real through the presence of the community of faith and the work of the Holy Spirit, that God might draw you closer and remind you of the unconditional love of Jesus Christ.

No comments: