Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Psalm 119:41-48

Psalm 119:41-48
English Standard Version (ESV)

  To be completely honest, I don't love all laws.  If it were up to me, I'd do away with the speed limit, and I'd love to not have to pay taxes.  There are probably others that I could come up with if forced to make a list, but I do understand the reason behind them -- they exist to help society function better.
  The Old Testament Law had a purpose as well.  It was a gift to the people, to help them live every part of life to honor God.  It provided a path back to righteousness as well, but the people couldn't keep it.  They continued to dwell in sin, condemned by the Law.
  But it was the Law that was along the path to salvation, because while the Law revealed to the people their sin, it also revealed their inability to save themselves, and their need for our Savior.  Our need for a Savior.  We cannot save ourselves, because we cannot perfectly obey the Law, and so we look to God, and it is God's steadfast love that provides salvation according to God's promises.  Not according to our works or our gifts, but according to God's promises.
  The path has always led to the cross, and the cross is where we see the fullness of God's plan -- there the violations of the Law were poured upon Christ, were he received them, paid the price, and liberated you and I for all of time.

No comments: