Saturday, March 14, 2009

Book Review



The Imitation of Christ, by Thomas a Kempis

This had been my evening reading for the last few months, and I will admit to savoring every page. Not because it would not have been enjoyable to read all at once, and very possible (it's only 139 pages), but more because each section (The book is composed of chapters, with each chapter being broken into small sections, usually about a page long) contained such treasures that it would have been difficult to handle them all at once. Each morsel was worthy of being developed, chew on, ruminated upon, and finally digested as a thought worthy of guiding my feet for the next week.

The entire work is a plea to Christ to strengthen and encourage the disciple to turn from sin and follow Christ. It is an acknowledgment of sinfulness and an admittance of dependence on Christ. Kempis recognizes our unworthiness but celebrates the love of God. We had no hope, but we are free to hope because we have Christ, not because Christ needed us, but because Christ loved us. Each page is filled with desire, with passion and guidance to help the reader recognize the shortfalls in life and turn to Christ. I loved this book and imagine that it will continue to guide my walk, to help my feet find their way as I see where I fall short, where I fail and abandon Christ, and how Christ never abandons me. This book is a celebration of all that Christ is, and it is a wonderful read as well as a convicting read, for it calls the reader, the believer, to turn from the material world, to recognize and put away those things that separate us from God. I highly recommend this book and am grateful for its wisdom and guidance.

No comments: