Thursday, March 26, 2009

Thursday

Lord of Rains and Storms,
As the water teems down outside my window, I am reminded of the chaos that existed before creation. You were Lord then, too, even though there was no created order. And so you came, and separated light from darkness, water from earth, and as a result I can now sit upon dry land and watch the rains pour down.
And yet for so many rains must be a terrible thing. I think of those facing floods, or those without enough water to drink. Surely for them it is crushing to watch the water pour down, only to soak into the ground, leaving them thirsty as they reach for cover, cowering under makeshift shelters. Remind me, O Lord, of how blessed I am and how responsible I should be for those with so little. Remind me, O Lord, of how you strengthen and encourage your faithful children to reach out, to recognize and claim our community, to help one another as the children of God. May I never forget that we are all your children, blessed and loved by you, and we are to serve one another just as you came as the servant to all.
Amen.

No comments: