Tuesday, July 14, 2015

A Prayer for Tuesday, July 14

Precious Lord,
  I feel like I'm chasing so many things, like a dog chasing its tail or a cat chasing a squirrel.  I don't know that I'll ever catch up, but every time I catch sight, I'm off, be it money or attention or success or some other false god that has caught my attention.  I divide my heart, thinking I can manage it, thinking that I will have enough left over for you.
  I know that you don't want the leftovers, and I know you promise to prune the faithful so they will grow, but part of me pulls back, afraid of what you might ask for, unwilling to sacrifice, unwilling to trust.  I trust myself because it's easier, even though it stunts my growth.
  Grant me a clean heart, O Lord, that I might know your will, and that knowing it, I might follow it.  Teach me to focus on you, so that the distractions might fade away.  Grant me the courage to be still, O Lord, that I might hear your voice and, hearing it, that I might trust you and grow.

Amen

No comments: