Monday, March 14, 2011

11 Weeks


11 weeks down, 28 to go.

We went to a class on Saturday called FAMU, led by First Things First, a local organization that offers all sorts of classes encouraging and teaching families how to be good families. They offer classes for parenting, for couples and singles, hoping that we can grow up as Christians.

And in it, a profound lesson was offered.

Kids don't understand sarcasm.

And kids imitate their parents.

In other words, 95% of the things I say now need to be monitored, screened and carefully considered before they escape my mouth. My child will learn how to speak based on the way I speak, and if I (ok...there's no 'if' here) speak sarcastically, that's how my kid will speak.

Except it will take a while for them to understand sarcasm. So in the beginning, they'll just be mean.

I never considered that I'd have to watch my sarcasm.

In other news, the child's skin is still transparent, meaning that many blood vessels can be seen through the skin. I believe this is the coolest thing ever--our kid is see through! (Hopefully, this will change at some point in the next 28 weeks. Otherwise, they might get picked on a lot. Chewing with your mouth closed doesn't make much sense if everyone can see through your cheeks.) Tooth buds are starting to form underneath his (or her) gums.

Life continues to develop in amazing and astounding ways.

28 weeks to go...

Parenting has taken a turn for the more difficult, and I haven't even started yet!

No comments: