Thursday, March 24, 2011

Christian de Cherge

  My life has no more value than any other. Nor any less value. In any case, it has not the innocence of childhood. I have lived long enough to know that I share in the evil which seems, alas, to prevail in the world, and even in that which would strike me blindly. (From the testament of Christian de Cherge, OCSO, martyred in 1996)

  Ten minutes ago, I had no idea who Christian de Cherge was.  I cannot pretend to have a complete grasp on who is.  But I can say that his testament, written in anticipation of being martyred, is worth reading and can be found here.

  When we think about those who oppose us, can we do so with the same grace he does?

  Can we recognize that we all play a part, we all share the blame, for so many things that are twisted and distorted in this world?

  Can we focus on what truly matters with the same intensity?

No comments: