Thursday, March 24, 2011

Tape Measure

  My baby is the size of a small tape measure this week. Considering the rate at which I lose tape measures, this doesn't offer much consolation to me!  I have three of them, and at any one time I usually have no idea where at least two of them are.

  In related news, (All news in my life at this point is somewhat pregnancy related...it's interesting that in every conversation I have, the second question is always "How's Rachel?"  She's great, by the way.) Rachel is starting to notice the child growing inside her.  I suppose this is a good thing, as this is a visible reminder of the impending change in our lives.  I can't imagine what it's like to deal with this change--my body doesn't change a bit, and there isn't too much I can do for her, to relieve any struggles with a changing body.

  I continue to pray for the child.  I wish I could know that it would make every proper decision for its life.  I think every good parent wishes that for their child, all the while hoping they make slight stumbles along the way, in order to gain character as they grow.  (If I had a nickel for every time my mother said 'it builds character', let's just say that the numbers on my recently completed income tax return would look a bit different!)  I know that kids are resilient, and I believe that they learn as much from how we handle mistakes as they do from our care put into not making them, but I simply want to do everything in my power to live in a Godly way, in the hopes that this child will grow into a relationship with God from the first day.  I long for them to have an intimate relationship with their Maker, with the One whose love is infinite, who cradles them their entire life, and to live out of gratitude.  I continue to pray.  Once I have done all I can, it's the only thing that's left!

No comments: