Tuesday, May 5, 2015

A Prayer for Tuesday, 5/5

  Holy God,
  There is such need in the world around me.  There are untold stories of suffering in Nepal, including homelessness and mourning.  Lives have been destroyed, families torn apart, routines disrupted, and there seems to be more despair than hope.
  It goes on around the world.  Civil war, strife, poverty, hopelessness, oppression, violence, homelessness... the list is longer than I can keep up with, and I never seem able to fully contemplate the realities.  The numbers overwhelm and the details fade into something manageable, something distant, something to which I cannot relate.
  Renew your compassion in my heart, O God, that I might weep with pain at the stories of suffering, and that I might examine my own life, my own heart, to see how I might best serve my neighbors, my brothers and sisters in this town and the next, around to the other side of the world.  Forgive me, Lord, for my emotional distance from those who suffer, and guide my hands and feet, my words and thoughts, so that I might involve myself in the lives of those around me who wander through the valley of the shadow of death and might wonder if another will share their journey and remind them of the presence of God that is always near.

Amen

No comments: